Thursday, July 23, 2009

Back in green

Well, it’s been a while since my last entry. The main reason for this is probably because I haven’t been training all that much over the past few weeks. Between my holidays, my instructor’s holidays and a brief illness, I have only attended about 2 or 3 training sessions since my grading. Speaking of… for those that care, I did pass and I’m now a loud and proud green belt. Our two white belts have also passed their grading by the way. Congratulations Nicole and Daniel, well done.

So what have I been up to? As I said, I’ve only started proper training again last week, so there hasn’t been much news. The main two points would be the side kick (which is killing my ridiculously underdeveloped hip muscles) and various applications of wrist locks (which are killing my… you’ve guessed… wrists).

My main focus at the moment is the side kick though, because I think I have a very long way to go before I’ll feel comfortable with it. For the first time since starting to train in TKD I feel that my physique is letting me down. I simply lack the strength and flexibility in my hips to properly practice the side kick. Therefore I’ve been doing a lot of exercises outside of class to remedy this (constant muscle soreness included).

In general the weeks without training have left me in a worse physical state than I’d like to admit. I’ve gained a good bit of weight and lost a considerable amount of flexibility and strength. It will take me a good few weeks to get back into shape, but I should get there, if I set my mind to it. Wish me luck…

No comments:

Post a Comment