Sunday, February 22, 2009

Information Overload

Wow, this must have been one of the more intense training sessions I’ve had in recent times. Not just physically, but also mentally.

I’ve recently been promoted to the next belt and so I’m learning a few new techniques. At this point I must say, I’m not a quick learner and need more time than others to get my head around a new technique, so today was a big challenge.

We’ve had a few additions to our training group since the beginning of the year, so we do a good bit of very basic exercises, which suits me well, because it allows me to revisit some of the things I meant to have learned when I first started (not that long ago). So first off we did an exercise to learn how to generate power through rotation and linking our body to our weapon (in this case the hand) to increase the effective mass. I still use too much strength in my arm and shoulder to generate power rather than linking the arm and hand to my body and using its rotation. I think towards the end I managed to do it a bit better.

Closely tied to the initial exercise was a new punching technique, which uses hip rotation and the shift of weight from back to front leg as the main source of power. It’s a very subtle technique meant to be used while the opponent is distracted by a hand in front of his face, or a similar diversion.
As I expected I started using my shoulder to generate the power again, which meant I was raising my elbow. This completely defeated the purpose of the technique, as it gives away the intent. The challenge was therefore in trying to keep the elbow tucked in, pressed to the ribs, and using rotation of the hips to shoot the arm forward. It proved to be more difficult than I expected.
The second aspect of the technique is using a snapping or whipping motion (remaining pretty linear mind) rather than pushing through the target as you would for a lunge punch. This therefore involved a quick forward action and equally quick retraction of the arm. Throughout the technique there is little tension to allow for a quick acceleration. Only at the instance of impact will the whole body be tensed to transfer the maximum force possible.
I will need to practice this technique quite a bit I recon, if I ever want to nail it. But then, I’ve just started learning it, so I shall not despair quite yet.

Finally, I got to practice my forward kick (just started learning that one last week) by kicking a tree for what seemed like hours, but was probably only 15 minutes. Nevertheless, the muscles in my hips were burning from lifting my leg. I never used to use these muscles in my life before TKD, so they are quite underdeveloped, I hope in time they will get stronger. Anyway, the main thing I need to focus on with this kick for now is the quick snapping motion and making sure I stretch my foot at the point of maximum extension. This too is quite a new concept to me, lifting my toes while the leg and foot are extended/stretched.

1 comment:

  1. Hey welcome to the world of Taekwondo and blogging!

    I too am not a quick learner so I can relate.

    :-)

    Since you're blogging be sure to
    join the Toplist.

    Maybe one day you can bump your teacher out of the Top 10!

    ReplyDelete