Monday, March 16, 2009

The importance of a training log

What a perfect example of why to keep a training log, and more importantly why to maintain it properly. By maintaining it properly I mean writing down lessons from class right away.
I was going to write about yesterday’s class just as I got home (after having a shower first though), but then forgot about it. Now I’m sitting here about 30 hours later struggling to remember what the key points were. Not that I can’t remember what we did, but it’s the fine details that make all the difference which elude me at the moment.
So here’s what I can scrape together.

First off we did some basic lower block (Hardan marki) applications. In this case we used the folding action to block against a straight centreline punch to the head and the actual down block against a strike to the solar plexus. I’ve not used the lower block in this variation before, which shows just how much I still have to learn. I do enjoy these basic exercises though, because they are exactly that; the basics. If you don’t get your basics right, how can you expect to manage the more advanced techniques? My guess is you won’t, so practice your basics! The other reason I like doing basic techniques is that I don’t feel completely at loss when doing them, or learning new applications. Lately I’ve been feeling at loss quite often during class due to the huge amount of new things thrown at me. So basics were quite welcome for a change.

Next thing we did was some self defence work against someone grabbing your clothes (e.g. jacket) at chest level. The basic strategy is to hold your arms up and let them drop down on the opponents arms. At the same time raise your feet and tighten your muscles, so that your body is linked to your arms at the point of impact. This way essentially your entire body weight is dropped on the opponents arms, which can be quite distressing, as the jerk form the arms is transferred directly into the neck. Very unpleasant, trust me, I’ve been on the receiving end of this technique many a times.
The technique doesn’t sound difficult, but in the words of my instructor: “That’s it, well done! It only took you 6 months to learn that!”

From this we went straight into using a wrist lock (yes we do locks and throws as well in our school) to really rid ourselves from the opponent. The lock starts by grabbing the opponents hand (the actual hand, not the fingers, although this is acceptable, but definitely not the wrist) “pistol grip” style and turning it inward until the wrist is vertical while keeping the opponents elbow down. At this stage your hand should be in front of you with your fingers pointing upwards, were you to extend them. Now simply turn your hand forward, so that your fingers would be pointing downward. This induces excruciating pain on the opponents wrist (again, I speak from experience) and will let you quite comfortably control his movement, as the entire body will be locked into position. This wrist lock can then be followed up by a forward kick or a takedown.

Finally we worked on some close quarter punches, based on the premise that any point along the life-cycle of the punch is a legitimate strike irrespective of the rotation of the fist (wording kindly stolen from my instructor). As seems to be a common theme through all the techniques I’m taught at the moment, the punch is powered by “snapping” of the hip. And as seems to be a common theme in learning the techniques, I don’t quite get it yet… Time will tell if I’ll ever manage it, but my instructor is confident, so I shall be as well.

It seems like I’ve managed to recollect a good bit from yesterday’s class in the end, but how much of what I’ve been taught this actually is, I don’t know…

No comments:

Post a Comment