Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Nothing out of the ordinary

Yesterday was a routine strength and flexibility day. The same procedure as last week's sessions, so there’s nothing big to report.

However, I have set myself a goal in terms of flexibility; I want to be able to rest my hands flat on the floor, while keeping my knees straight. I can manage to get down to the thumb, so I’ve got about 5-7cm left to go.

Taken that I struggled to get my fingertips on the floor a few months ago, I’d be interested to see how long I’ll take to achieve my goal. Let’s see how far I can get by the end of the month, I recon it might take a bit longer than that though, maybe the end of April is more realistic.

The next thing after that will be the full splits, but that is something that will take at least till the end of the year

2 comments:

  1. As another amateur TKDist, I find your blog interesting. My Master was just talking about the flexibility issue in our last class. He maintains that a lot of the time, our lack of flexibility is a self-imposed problem. We tend to tense our muscles, which works against the whole concept of stretching. I find that I'm able to stretch further if I go as low as I think I can, pause for a minute or so while concentrating on relaxing the muscles that are being pulled, take a deep breath and then try to go just a little further. Hope this helps a little. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I've noticed that this as well.
    I sometimes also try a technique my instructor taught us. Stretch as far as you feel comfortable and then tense the muscles for about 10 seconds, then relax and increase the stretch, repeat. I find this really works well for me.

    ReplyDelete